Sunday, July 27, 2008

Baby's Room

Both Fawnda and I have been feeling that we must be getting close to receiving our long-awaited referral. During our home study process, we were told that the wait time for a Korea referral was 5 months, and our home study was finalized on March 6th. This time frame might have been extended since then, but we are still optimistic that we are getting close!

This feeling of being close has renewed my sense of urgency in getting the baby's room finished. That's been put on hold for a couple of months as we have turned our focus to our yard (in my defense, it's hard not to want to be outside when you live in Minnesota and it's finally nice outside!). Anyway, my projects this weekend included priming trim and removing a much dreaded border. This year marked our house's 45th birthday, and I'm sure that border had been up for at least 44 of those years. At first, I thought that taking the border down would be easy, and I might even have some extra time to float in the pool this weekend, but just like every other project in our house, I totally underestimated the amount of energy required. For starters, I'm pretty sure that this border had been adhered to our wall using the same type of glue that NASA uses to bond the heat shield to the Space Shuttle. Armed with only a spray bottle of Dif and my handy scraper, I was much like a kid taking a sling shot to a gun fight. I found that my only saving grace in this project was a faulty layer of paint underneath the border. As a matter of fact, I was able to take my scraper, catch some of the paint with the corner of the tool, and peel sheets of paint off the wall, which took the border off too. Has anyone else seen or heard of anything like this? Our walls started out with a grey paint color, and they are now white. This activity was much like peeling skin after a bad sunburn, and it definitely took much longer than I had anticipated.

Fawnda had to work this weekend, so I spent much of that paint-peeling time all to myself, which provided a lot of opportunity to think about this child coming into our home, and about my burning desire to be an awesome dad. For us, going the adoption route has been incredibly rewarding, and I feel that many of the things that we have gone through should be required for all parents, but we've had our difficult times too. I was reminded of one time about a year ago when we were still going through the infertility treatments, and weren't telling very many people about our struggles. One of the ladies at my work had just had a grandson through her 17 year-old daughter who was a junior in high school. This lady brought her grandson to a work event that Fawnda and I were at, and she brought the baby right up to the two of us and chided us with "So how long will it be before you guys have one of these?" I know she was kidding, because I hadn't informed anyone about what our intentions for children had been, but the first thought that popped into my head (after trying to shield Fawnda from this lady and the poor, innocent child), was "what, a bastard child? hopefully never. . ." As I sit here today, I must say that I'm ashamed that this thought even popped into my head, but I can honestly say that I remained polite: I smiled and did the "Minnesota Nice" thing (changed the subject).

I've also been thinking about how our culture seems to be generally kid-friendly, and it seems like everyone has their usual responses to seeing a child. Here are some of the responses that I have caught myself saying, "He looks just like his dad", "She acts just like her mom", "He's got his dad's laugh", etc. etc. Sometimes I feel sad that many of the "usual" sayings won't be said of me and my child, but I find comfort in the fact that we will find our own. For example, we might be able to say, "he/she likes to draw just like his mom", "he/she is good at math just like his dad", "he/she likes to swim just like his mom", or "he/she is brilliant just like his dad" (okay, so maybe I went a little too far there using my creative license, but it makes me smile so I'm leaving it in).

I could go on and on about the things that I thought about while peeling paint this weekend - both the things that make me excited about being a future dad, and the things that still make me a little sad. Even so, there was definitely a recurring thought about my work at hand, and that was, "wish YOU were here!"

5 comments:

Jason and Fawnda said...

After publishing this post today, I went back to the baby's room to patch up walls in preparation better paint. I felt guilty for my decision to include the story about the lady from work. Please bear in mind that I have come a long way since then, and that I am in no position to judge the origin of any child. The child that God has picked out for us might come from suspect origins, and we are prepared to love that child no matter what (isn't it funny how God works!). I decided to include that particular story to help people understand the intensity of the emotions that those dealing with infertility endure in a society that expects married couples to have children after a certain length of time. Some couples, like us, have been told that they cannot have children. So for the sake of our brothers and sisters out there dealing with infertility, please refrain from teasing a childless couple about having children unless you are sure that they never want to have children. For all of the other childless couples, simply pray for them until they are able to welcome that bundle of joy into their home (I'm sure they would covet your prayers after that point too).

Jason

normands said...

Jason & Fawnda,
When I read your most recent posts, it brings tears to my eyes. You are definatly sharing from your heart!! We have never experienced what you are going through, but with you sharing your feelings with us, we are going through it with you. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out for you!!! Be assured, that your child will begin to "look" like you, as they take on your expressions, your manorisms, your talk, your walk, your smile...etc. We, too, can't wait to hear your child say: "I love you, Mommy. I love you, Daddy. I love you, Gma. I love you, Gpa". Thank you for sharing so openly with us!! We love you guys!!!
Gma & Gpa Norman

Karly said...

Man, I went from laughing out loud (that bit about the NASA bonded border and the "sling shot to a gun fight" line were hilarious!) to getting teary-eyed. It has been quite a journey for the both of you! I am getting so giddy and excited for you now that the end is sooo close...or maybe I should say the beginning is sooo close!

Auntie Jill said...

Jason and Fawnie,
Jason, you should maybe think of doing standup! You are too funny! I love to read you expressing yourself, I think when my wallpaper would only come off attached to the paint which left the walls pitted, my thoughts were more like @#%$&&*$$$$$$, yeah $$$ cause now we had to fix those dang walls!!! So I felt your pain! I also hope and pray that I did not cause you pain, and I’m sure that I did since I know I made comments on you two having children…..For that I am sooooo sorry! I wish you would have shared earlier so that would never have happened and I could have supported you……but God has his reasons for everything, and loving you as I do, I had only hoped you would experience the fabulous blessing that children are….as you already seem to know. Your baby will have so much like you….they are such copy-cats, and hopefully not the traits you would not like them to have, but if it is one that can be copied, they will of course try to do some of those too! Tee Hee! Again I am just so happy for you, and feel blessed to have you sharing this journey with us through your blog. Your having children will just be a different experience, as they all are! None of us pick our children….and they are all so different, and loved the same. I know all your waiting will just make you appreciate every moment with your child all the more! I love you and pray that you and your child will sense God’s presence as he is preparing you for each other. Woo Hoo, I can’t wait!
Love,
Auntie Jill

tom velner said...

Jason and Fawn,
Thanks for your transparency in your blogs.I'm thinking it may be easier to express some of these deep feelings in writing rather personally repeating these things to all you know. Jason you give a voice to the "dad in-waiting" who is sometimes a bit overlooked.
This whole journey to becoming parents and becoming a family is a matter close to the heart, one that begins way before the little one arrives. We all may need your reminder to be sensitive to others that might be in your shoes.
God has a special match for you and he will sometimes use his sense of humor and give you a child just like yourself, or the opposite of you. Each of these give amazing life lessons. Whatever our cute ones look like, our goal is to develop character and values.
My hope is see those reflected in your kids that they would be seen them just like their dad and mom.
As you two are "feathering your nest" preparing for parenting, I'm sure you will look back and laugh about the indestructible border. You will probably want that kind of indestructible power for some other things once your baby arrives.
I am excited for the baby's room. (I have been known to watch a HTV makeover show or two.)So it is really fun to potentially be able to see a transformation in person. You two have good taste so I'm sure it will be soooo cute! We will be praying for you as you prepare your home and hearts for your baby. Keep your great sense of humor, you know you child will give lots of future material! Love ya Mom and Dad