Monday, February 23, 2009

a little more room

Before Kyan came home we were told that he slept with his foster mom. When people asked me what the sleeping situation would be when he came home I answer very quickly "He will NOT be sleeping in our bed... we are going to break him of that right away... Maybe we will let him sleep in the pack-n-play in our bed room but we are moving that out quickly too" I would read about people who would have "family beds" and think that they are CRAZY! I bet God was just laughing to himself!


All that to say that Kyan pretty much sleeps in our bed now. We start him out in his crib but he wears me down and ends up getting carried to bed with me. Jason has been wanting to wean him from our bed and I really did try, but finally going to bed at 4:30 AM is just not that attractive to me and I make bad decisions when I am tired so needless to say he ended up back in bed with us. Jason told me I was weak- but I really had my child in mind. Kyan wants to sleep with me, I hate to sleep alone myself, I couldn't make my baby do it too, not yet. We are still working on bonding and I am not ready to let him "cry it out".

So, I needed to buy some time! We had a queen size bed and it was squished with just me and Jason- Add a 1-year-old-bed-hog and there REALLY wasn't enough room. I remembered that my parents had a king size bed as an "extra bed" at their house. So, I called them and asked if we could switch beds... it was for Kyan after all! And being the generous people that they are they agreed!


So we now have an extra 8.88 square feet of sleeping space! Wow does it make a difference. I know that some of you are thinking that I am crazy but that is OK. The best advice that I have gotten about parenting is "Many people are going to tell you what to do. But, You know what is best for your family. So, do what is best for them." And what is best for us is for all of us to get some sleep around here!

9 comments:

Jason and Fawnda said...

You might have noticed that I posted this at 1Am... so the family bed does not always work! Ky is happly running around in his sit-n-spin, hopefully getting more tired by the minute so we can get some sleep tonight!

Unknown said...

I LOVE my king size bed. we can cuddle in the middle for a while, then spread out so it feels like we each have our own beds. yet, we can still reach out and touch each other when needed. Congratulations on the upgrade! :)

Nicole said...

Isn't parenting amazing?!? There could be 800 million books on the subject and none of them will totally describe your own experience. Enjoy finding what works best for your family!

Sherrie said...

You know that once you go Plush King, you never go back! Welcome to the club. :)

Jason and Fawnda said...

We do really like the king bed.. we keep saying "it feels like we are in a hotel!" I think that Ky likes it too because everytime I bring him to bed he smiles and does a dreamy sigh.

Kelley Sommer said...

What luxury! We are still in a full size bed, but without kids, except Saturday mornings when Oliver wakes up before us!

I heard someone say recently, "I knew so much about being a parent until I became one" Isn't that the truth!! We have eaten our words on many an issue too! It is Okay and humbling!

Jason and Fawnda said...

aint that the truth... I always say "I was such a better parent when I didn't have my own child!" I guess it goes to show- never say never!
You are right it is ok and humbling and makes me appreciate others!

Mima said...

Dad and I read this and it got us thinking about preacher who talking about his "King"....
YOUR KING IS A 7 WAY KING...
1. It's an "International King"
Joining a family from 2
countries.
2.It's an "Economic King"
Free is very economical.
3.It's a "Luxurious King"
Pillow-top plus foam is plushy!
I wish I could describe it to ya!
4.Your King is a "Spacial King"
More room to stretch out,8.8
of feet more wiggle room.
5.It is a "Generous King"
This King didn't come alone but brought a "comforter", not to
mention sheets and pillows.
6. It's a "Environmental King"
"Going Green" as in
recycle reuse.
7. It is the "King of Slumber"
Allows Sleep and rest for
night and naps.
Your own version of the 7 way King!

Jason and Fawnda said...

Mom
That is soo funny! "I wish I could describe it to ya!" I love your screen name- Mima! Cute!

Thanks so Much for the WONDERFUL bed- we LOVE it- all of us! Now I am off to get some sleep!
night-night
Fawn