Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Trust Issues

My parents used to always tell me: "Trust is one of the hardest things to earn and the easiest to lose" Those words have never been more true to me than right now.

From our perspective, things worked out great for us. We got the CUTEST baby that we have been waiting for!

But from little Kyan's perspective... he did not ask to be given up by his mother, put into a foster home, be taken away from everything he had ever known by strangers (who look, smell, sound, act totally different). It is easy to see why he need some time to trust in Jason and I as his parents.

That being said, I think that Kyan is having some trust issues with us. The time that this is shown the most is bed time. When you think about it, it makes sense that he would get anxious before bed. I know that I, as an adult, have a tough time sleeping if something in my life is off. During the day there are plenty of distractions to keep your mind off of what is bugging you, but at night, or at nap time, it can be the only thing on your mind.

Ky will not go to bed without a lot of reassurance from Jason and I. It was getting to be that when he was nearing the end of his bottle he would get really fussy, cry and be pretty much inconsolable. We think that he was getting nervous about being ALONE in his crib. So now we try to have some really good quality time with him right before bed. What has worked the best (and is what we are doing right now) is for me to lay down with him and snuggle with him for an hour to an hour and half until he is in his deep sleep. Then, I move him to the crib. He wakes up around midnight, I give him a bottle, we snuggle some more (1-2 hours), and I move him back to the crib. He wakes at 5 AM for another bottle and after snuggling he sleeps until around 8:30-9:00. So, he is getting a good night sleep. I am not always getting the most quality sleep, but it is worth it for my son to feel comfortable enough to sleep!

It is funny how God works things out. I hate to sleep alone as well...so why would I expect something different from my own child! On the plus side, I love to cuddle before bed and Jason does not, so now I get my cuddle time!

No comments: