Friday, August 22, 2008

10 years!!

I can hardly believe that I have been married for TEN years! I am truly no longer a newly wed (although I really think that newly weds are 5 years or less) I am now entering the double digits of marriage. WOW!
When Jason and I were still dating my mom told me "you either need to get married or slow down" well, slowing down was NOT an option for us (we were so in love) so a few months later we were married and I was telling everyone that it was my mom's idea! She used to deny it but now that we have been happily married for 10 years she is telling everyone how it was all her idea! :)

This 10th year of marriage will be the year that we become parents. I know that everyone is telling us to enjoy our last weeks of freedom, go out while we still can, watch whatever TV show you want, sleep in... And I know that our lives are going to change drastically! But, we are ready for this change. We are ready to stay home on weekends to play with our baby boy. We are ready to watch some silly kid shows, and we are ready to get up early with our son (or maybe I'll make Jason do that one!)

We have been on such a journey this year with our adoption. The adoption road is not the easy one, but the process has made us better people. I am not resentful for all the extra steps that I needed to take to get to be a parent, because I learned so much about myself, my husband, and my marriage. It really made me think about what kind of a parent I want to be. In the end I knew without a doubt that I wanted to be a mom. Becoming a parent was not something that just happened to us, it was something that was chosen!

I found this quote that I really liked:
Adoption means that you have the ultimate freedom of deciding to become parents. The question is not "will we", but "when will we?" And the answer is always "when we can no longer contain the love in our hearts."

It is a pity that not all parents have to go through this kind of process. I know that I have grown so much going through it.

So CHEERS to us for 10 wonderful years of marriage!

1 comment:

Childless (for now) said...

Fawnda~I am so happy for you! 10 years is a wonderful milestone, and to celebrate that with the adoption of a baby boy makes it that much more exciting. May God grant you with many more happy years together!

Liz