Friday, March 12, 2010

The Red Zone

I have to admit that I've let Fawnda run with our blog for a very long time, and this is mostly because she does such a great job at it. I thought that I would put together another post to give you some insight into the some of the things that bounce around inside my head (beside the mothballs, of course).

As of late, my life is being lived like I'm in the Red Zone. For those of you that don't follow football, the term "red zone" refers to the area on the football field that is within the opponent's 20-yard line. The Red Zone is certainly within field goal range, but the end zone is within sight, and a 7-point touchdown is always better than a 3-point field goal. NFL statisticians pay particular attention to any and all actions within the Red Zone, and I believe records are kept for it all. Most players on the offensive side of the ball get jittery once they pass the 20 yard line, because games are often decided by what happens within those 60 feet of the football field.

Maybe I should pause here. I should probably clarify that I do not feel that I have been put out to pasture, and that my respective share of the turf happens to be within the 20-yard line on some football field. When I say that I feel that life is being lived within the Red Zone, I am referring to a particular state of mind.

In regard to being the father of a two year-old, I feel that every decision and move I make counts. Do I plop down in front of the TV when I get home, or do I run around the house with a screaming boy on my back? Do I take a nap because I'm tired, or do I dress down to give a boy (who loves the water) a bath? Like I said, every decision counts. There are no do-overs, and whether you realize it or not, someone, somewhere is keeping track.

In regard to my Christian faith, I continue to press on toward the goal (Philippians 3:14). I really like this passage of scripture, because it refers to the energy that we must exert to keep a certain momentum going. It says, "forgetting what is behind, and straining toward what is ahead. . .". Don't you just love that? If we coast, we will certainly fall short when it counts. The decisions to exert a little energy could include such things like, doing devotions early in the morning or late at night (either way, it's not easy because you're tired); turning off the radio in the car and spending that time in prayer (I know, sometimes the quiet can be scary); or picking up a good Christian book that will certainly stretch your faith. Once again, it's like being in the red zone. I press on toward the goal, but every decision and move I make counts.

Anyway, I have been thinking lately about how life often requires the same mentality that it takes to be effective within the Red Zone, and I thought that I would post some of my random thoughts. Maybe it's because the Super Bowl was over a month ago, and I needed a good football fix, but I do believe there's some merit in living life like someone's keeping score and everything you do counts. Does this resonate with anything going on in your life? Or, maybe it is time to put Jason out to pasture? Leave me a comment, and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Auntie Bee said...

I will admit that I was not aware of The Red Zone (not a football fan...at least not THAT kind of football...) but I completely agree with your assertion that every move we make counts and that there are no do-overs. Thanks for startling me out of lackadaisical living!! Especially as a stay-at-home mom, I need constant reminders that the way I structure (or fail to structure and therefore squander) my time will have long-lasting repercussions. It's important to be deliberate EVERY DAY about sharing love with my kids and doing something fun/meaningful/educational or suddenly it's bedtime again. Or, even scarier, suddenly it's graduation.

tom velner said...

A very wise woman once tool me " what good would it be if you went out and saved some but lost someone from your own family? Relationships take time to develop. The 3 R's of raising kids is this. RULES WITHOUT RELATIONSHIP = REBELLION!!! Build relationships now, so when the are older they won't say " if that what Christianity is all about I don't want anything to do with it". Keep fighting the good fight, and keep in mind we've already won the game! Well done Jason

Auntie Jill said...

Jason,
Love that you are blogging your thoughts...not only lets others know you better, but themselves too in respect to what questions you have us ask ourselves...and yes...we need to always stay on our game while we are still in the game...even as Grandparents...we all of course make mistakes, that's where we need to ask daily for Jesus to help us make those "best" choices so that we look back without regrets. And as Tom said...building that relationship early on and to keep it growing makes the years to come so very much easier! And so much more joyous!
Enjoy every moment! It goes faster than you can ever imagine!
Love ya,
Auntie Jill