Among other things, these 2 points seem to continually ignite my burning desire to get over there to get him. I know that this is all part of the adoption waiting game, but I cannot help but feel like I'm missing out on his life. 7 months is a long time to be out of someone's life, and the first 7 months are incredibly formative. For example, at 7 months a lot of infants are experiencing the following:
- He's probably developing his own personality.
- His sitting should be getting better as his lower back gets stronger.
- He might be ready to get moving!
- He might be pushing up on hands and knees and creeping along the floor.
- He may try to stand by himself.
- He may try to balance himself and sit for a while with no support.
- He may like finger foods that let him practice picking things up and feeding himself.
- He may enjoy playing with a spoon and a cup, but will probably not be good at using them yet.
- Seven month-olds often like to be included in family activities, enjoy looking in mirrors and at pictures of other babies, and like to grab, shake, bang things, and put everything in their mouth.
This list makes me smile, but it also makes me sad that I'm not there for all of it. He will most likely be about 9 months old when we bring him home, and both Fawnda and I are super excited to get to know his personality. Rest assured, we plan to make up a lot of ground right away. In the grand scheme of life 9 months is a relatively small amout of time, and we will have plenty of opportunities to make our own memories after he's here.
It's just that on our little guy's 7 month birthday, I wish I was there to have some of the cake.
Please don't stop reading here!
The Travel Thoughts post contains an exciting contest!
3 comments:
Yes, I have felt close to a total stranger ... two in fact ... and they're both 5 ... and they also live several thousand miles away ... and I'll be lucky to have finished my dossier when you come home with your kiddo!!
Yes Jason, I feel like I am missing our grandson already.We have a little experience with missing grandkids that live far away. Once we saw his pictures he captured our hearts as much and as easily as our other grandchildren.It is hard to explain but in that moment he was family, he was the long awaited child which met all the dreams, hopes and prayers. I looked into his little face and eyes and thought Oh It's You!Sweetie, oh my you don't even know how much love awaits you!It was also funny to think that since he was born in Feb. all the prayers had already been answered months before, we just didn't know it. But the day is coming that your empty arms and nursery will be a distant memory. Then you will fill in all the milestones by being with him, cheering him on and snapping pictures. (hopefully sharing the shots with grandparents) :)
Jason I love your heart thanks for sharing. Love Kim or Memaw
Jason,
It's so awesome that you can express your thoughts in words, and share them with us so that we can feel with you, and pray for you. But yes, every parent falls in love with a stranger. If we are pregnant and waiting, or adopting and waiting...knowing God had your son in his hands this whole time, I know that he will make up your missed time in other ways. And maybe you will even appreciate some things more than you would otherwise. I can't wait to meet your little Prince with the beautiful eyes myself.
Love,
Auntie Jill
Post a Comment